What You Need To Know About Computer Security
Computer security is an area of computing that focuses on the protection of infrastructure, computing, information contained or circulating in a computer or computer network respectively. It is the discipline that deals with designing the rules, procedures, methods and techniques, in order to maintain a safe and reliable information system.
This is to ensure that the material and software resources are used only for the purposes they were created for.
The main objectives and characteristics of computer security for the computational structure, information and content circulating are:
- Avoid rejection
The history of computer security began in the 1980s with the commonality of using a personal computer and the concern to preserve the integrity of stored data. Viruses and worms began to be produced in the 90s, where an alert was created for computers and the internet connection, beginning to identify attacks on computer systems, define the word “hacker,” at the end of the 90s the threats began to generalize, new worms and generalized malware appeared, and in 2000 the events triggered the importance of taking computer security very seriously.
Advantages of computer security
- Ensure the integrity and privacy of the information on a computer system and its users.
- Security measures prevent damages and problems that may be caused by intruders.
- Creates security barriers that are nothing more than techniques, applications and security devices, such as games, antivirus, anti-spyware, encryption of information and use of passwords protecting information and equipment of users.
- It trains the general population on the new technologies and threats that they can bring.
Disadvantages of computer security
- Absolute security is impossible and computer security is a set of techniques aimed only at obtaining high levels of security in computer systems.
- In the most outdated computer equipment a really effective antivirus can be too heavy making them slower and this take up a lot of memory space.
- The requirements for creating passwords are increasingly complex. The requirement of login and changing passwords is becoming increasingly popular in workplaces and it can be difficult to remember.
Companies attacked in their IT security
- Currently the most attacked companies are social networks such as facebook and linkedin. These attacks have the main objective of obtaining information from users who use these networks. Detailed information such as emails, home addresses, telephone numbers.
- Online stores such as ebay and amazon have also suffered attacks. As in social networks these attacks are dedicated to gaining information from users, although particularly recently there was an attack that prevented the company from concluding transactions and purchases of products.
- The mobile phone company apple. Your iPhone device. These attacks are more than gaining information from users, which is their main objective, their purpose is to obtain money or an internal contract with the company, communicating that they entered their system and revealing the way to solve the problem.
- Public and private banks. Many of the attacks on these entities or companies are to perform internal transactions in foreign countries.
- Microsoft company. This is the company with the most attacks, due to its windows operating system. The attacks are carried out in order to get financial support or be hired by this company.
The banking Trojans are a subset of malware that seeks the theft of data and electronic bank accounts, these Trojans began to be developed and operated in the year 2004.
These Trojans usually collect and update lists of banking entities that are created or downloaded from a malicious server, they have a sufficient amount of lists of banking activity monitoring chains, an example is sonowal.
It is responsible for capturing and storing the pulsations made on the keyboard, some of these Trojans make screenshots and send them to the attacker, making it vulnerable to use the on-screen keyboard.
When interpreting the data, it is necessary to clarify that the equipment that hosts banking malwares does not necessarily end in a situation of fraud, it depends on circumstances.
Features with which a banking Trojan works are:
- Pressed keys registration
- Form capture
- Screenshots and video recording
- Injection of fraudulent form fields
- Injection of fraudulent pages
- Redirection of banking pages
With all these data extracted from users the offender can extract money from different bank accounts, thus executing the theft.
The stolen information can be passed on to a third team, but some before encrypting the information, thus preventing the information from being seen and deciphered.
The webcam hacking consists of gaining access to a webcam of a computer in order to spy or have control over that person.
Some hackers try to do this for blackmail if they find something a secret the person doesn’t want to make public. This is one of the most used practices in the world; since many celebrities are often neglected in this issue, some hacker take advantage to earn large sums of money in exchange for not publishing the content.
Some webcams may be subject to control based on user IP addresses.
Applications such as skype, and camera driver programs have an IP address which is sent to a server at the time of a video call, at the time of execution of this video call, the IP address can easily be obtained. What is recommended is to have a good antivirus that alerts you on any activity of your web cam or for more security, cover your web cam when you are not using it.
Computer security has a very high impact issue in the virtual and technological reality world. Though software is developed for the benefit and ease of some activities, software is also created with the aim of stealing information in an unauthorized way, ranging from companies to individual use. However, there is a slight difference between computer security and information security and this is based on the implementation and the field of exercise in which it is executed.
There are thousands of people who are constantly looking for ways of trying to steal information, in order to obtain money selling that information or just to defame and demonstrate power.
The most attacked companies are entities such as banks, financial entities, and online stores, which are more so prone because of the amount of high virtual monetary in transactions.
Currently companies are more vulnerable than in previous years, as they are discovering more ways to get information from users and businesses through decoys, which appear to be real web pages or reliable forms, but in reality they are hacker traps for obtaining information from users. One of the most recognized hackers worldwide became famous for his penetration of the Microsoft database. He was hired by bill gates to be a security adviser in his multinational.
Overall, the information system is nothing more than the information maintained in servers or large containers, which only become sensitive when they are kept in motion, in a transaction, in a data network, the hacker identifying that there is a movement and scrutinizes to see through it.